Saturday, November 12, 2011

30 Days of Handmade Gift Giving Blog Hop ~ Day 12



 Today is the twelfth day of the Handmade Gift Giving Hop! I sure hope you are enjoying it and getting some wonderful ideas! I know I sure am!

I apologize for today's going up late. Someone else was supposed to be up today and I am not sure but got an email this morning they weren't doing it. I had plans with my family today to spend some time together and didn't have time to grab another post or do a quick one up this morning with such late notice.

Today, I am going to share a simple project that can be either a gift or even for yourself. It a Home Decor, an altered candle. I split my post for tomorrow for today and I'll have more tomorrow. Today's is quick n easy can be made in less than 10 min.

First you need to get a Flameless candle or a real candle, as long as you don't plan on burning the candle. Then grab some pretty vellum, I used a clear with gold splats. Then you'll need about a yard of ribbon (I actually didn't measure mine), measuring about 1.5" to 2" wide preferably wired, but not required. You'll need an ink pad that coordinates, but not necessary.  





You will want to measure your piece of vellum and cut to fit around and from top to bottom. Then cut the vellum to the correct measurements. Then, if desired, ink the top and bottom edges of the vellum with your ink pad. 


Then you will want to apply your favorite adhesive to the entire piece of vellum. Then carefully wrap it around the candle. Rub it on so that its good and stuck. If you desire you can ink the top of the candle too.



then you will want to wrap a piece of your wired ribbon around the candle once and apply adhesive to keep it in place.


Then with the remaining ribbon you'll want to make a beautiful full bow. I made a 5 loop bow. I don't know how to explain how to make the bow, its one of those things i just know how to do by making 2 regular bows and then adding the middle (5th) loop at the end.


Then you will want to adhere the bow to the candle. I used glue dots as I found they were easiest to manipulate for the bow. I used two large ones for the middle, one for each loop in the back middle and one on each ribbon ends hanging.




 Once the ribbon is attached its done! Simple, easy, quick and yet beautiful.  I got my pack of flameless candles at Costco and these have a nice vanilla scent to them. But because these have no real flame when you turn them on they look beautiful. Its hard to see but the bottom 2 I have the candle turned on. The reason on this particular candle I suggest a flameless or not burning a regular candle is because of the paper and bow that is attached are flammable and we don't want to see anyone loose their house at this time of year or anytime of the year.  You don't necessarily have to make it Christmas or holiday themed. You can use any ribbon and make it match their decor.

Tomorrow, come back and I will show you some other wonderful ways to alter candles!
 

Please be kind and leave some love for Gifts for inspiration and writing up tutorials/instructions. Check out their blogs if you've got time too.

If your just Joining us here is the Past Days of The Hop! It's one Blog a day for 30 Days of Gift making Ideas and projects!


Simply Click their names to go to their blogs

Day  1 ~ The Scrapoholic ~ Countdown Calendar 
Day  2 ~ Jessica The Creative Stamper ~ Wreath
Day  3 ~ Debbie DD's Crafts ~ Notepad
Day  4 ~ Sarah Pink Cricut ~ Scarf
Day  5 ~ The Scrapoholic ~ Alterted Paper Mache Book
Day  6 ~ Crafty Queen ~ Calendar
Day  7 ~ Playing with Paper ~ Candle
Day  8 ~ The Scrapoholic ~ Recycled Jars/Containers
Day  9 ~ The Scrapoholic ~ Altered Clipboard
Day 10 ~ Thatz Uneek ~ Altered File Album

Don't Forget to check out my 30 Days of Christmas Cards too. 


Until Tommorrow...
Happy Crafting!
TTFN Jill (aka The Scrapoholic)

01 09 10